Monday 22 September 2014

Day 4 – Glorious Sunshine on route to Monmouth

After a Premier Inn breakfast at the Brewers Fayre next door, I spent a few minutes checking the bike.  I pumped the tyres back up to 60psi and lubricated the chain to keep everything running smoothly.  After loading the GPS and unloading the camera, I helped Fiona load the car with the bike rack so she could collect her brother, Matt, and his bike from Bristol train station.  I was ready to ride at 9.45am.

In contrast to the previous three days, the weather was clear and it was a pleasure to cycle out of Glastonbury with the Tor lit by the morning sunshine.  After the usual stop to adjust the mudguards (both were rubbing within about two miles!), I enjoyed cycling a long straight road with drainage ditches on either side and Wells Cathedral appearing in the distance.  I stopped to take a photo at one point and noticed what I had initially assumed were sheep were actually Llamas!  Hey Ho, Fiona had seen wizards and fairies at the Premier Inn in Glastonbury (she claims there were no illegal substances used!), so why would I expect normal farm animals?!

The un-rideable bridleway above Wells
On the steep climb out of Wells I was concentrating on pedalling and missed a left turn.  I only noticed I was off track half way up the climb and decided to take to a bridleway to rejoin the route.  The bridleway soon turned into a rocky path like a dry stream bed that I could not ride but was still heading in the correct direction so I decided to push the bike.  It was a beautiful wood, but unfortunately at the top of the hill the bridleway turned away from the direction I needed and I nearly decided I would have to retrace my steps.  I pushed on as I was able to ride on the rough path at the top and overtook a pair of rather surprised walkers.  Eventually I reached a tarmac road and was pleased to turn towards my intended track.  I cycled through a Grouse farm with lots of birds pecking at feed bins in the fields and flying away squawking as I passed. Unfortunately, the road petered out and became a dry mud track and then finished in a field!  I noticed that I could still see Glastonbury Tor in the distance and it felt like I was going round in circles.  I rode along the side of the field, up the side of the next and found a link out onto a green lane.  I descended the bumpy and muddy green lane for several hundred meters and eventually re-joined the route back down near the bottom of the hill!  It was my biggest diversion to date and I was faced with a steep climb on the road back to the top.  Still pleased to have got out of the woods (!) I zig zagged all the way back up without a breather and pedalled on towards Bristol.

It was a smooth and sunny ride across the top of the Mendip hills with great views.  After a happy couple of hours making good progress I was pleasantly surprised by my sister and her family coming the other way in their car.  We stopped at the Prince of Wellington pub in Winford where we met up with Fiona who had collected here brother, Matt, from Bristol Temple Meads station in amongst road closures and traffic jams caused by the Bristol marathon.  We all enjoyed the Sunday carvery, complete with home-made nut roast while watching easyJet flights departing from Bristol Airport and flying directly overhead.  After a great lunch in hot sunshine, I was off and heading for Bristol.  Reaching the edge of the city, the traffic was queuing through road works and I leapfrogged my sister in her car several times.

Clifton Suspension Bridge
I found my way through Ashton Court, which was a pleasant green oasis after the busy traffic.  I then wriggled through Bristol’s cycle paths to reach the north side of the Avon and cycled out of town under the Clifton suspension bridge.  After a few miles I was in Avonmouth and a much more industrial area around the dock with massive windmills all facing the same way as me.  Fortunately on a Sunday I didn’t have to dodge too many HGVs, but the headwind made it slow going.  At one point I realised I could cross the road and climb the verge to get on a cycle path.  As I did so I heard a suspicious ping from the front tyre but it seemed fine as I cycled on and eventually out to a coastal path with great views of both Severn bridges.

The Severn Crossing into Wales
When I stopped for a photo at the start of the bridge I noticed the front tyre was rather soft – it had been punctured!  It was clearly only a small hole, so I thought I would pump it up and see how I got on.  All too predictably, when I connected my mini pump, I succeeded only in letting out all of the rest of the air!  After a few minutes of trial and error I got the connection working and managed to pump up the tyre to full pressure.  It stayed sufficiently fully inflated for the rest of the day.

I crossed the bridge into Wales with great views of the other bridge in the sunshine and then climbed up to Chepstow and up again to the racecourse.  I enjoyed a long smooth descent to Tintern to see the magnificent ancient abbey lit by the late afternoon sunshine.  I then had the final 10 miles of gentle climbing following the river Wye to reach Monmouth at 6.30pm and find Fo and Matt ready with a pint!

Tintern Abbey
In total the day was 70.3 miles in 8¾ hours elapsed and 6 hours moving at an average of 11.6mph and a maximum speed of 36.8mph.

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could have joined you for some of today. Think we saw you cycling along that long straight road you mentioned leaving Glastonbury as we headed off to Wells for our treasure hunt (which we won!). Noticed the missed turn out of Wells. To go back down and start again was admirable, especially as it meant you having to do a worse ascent than the one you had almost completed already! Well done old chap :-)

    ReplyDelete