Monday 29 September 2014

Day 11 – Up to Glencoe in the Clouds

After a sociable breakfast of fruit, porridge and scrambled eggs at the Premier Inn, I started out at 10.15am.  Fiona and her Mum were going to visit Helensburgh Hill house, designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, but it did not open until lunchtime.  We joked about using the drive-through Costa opposite the hotel, but I decided not to try it on a bike.

I made my way out of Dumbarton by going the wrong way through a one way system in an industrial estate and then crossed the river on a steeply stepped pedestrian bridge with a track for rolling your bike.  I followed the river on a smooth cycle path and enjoyed the peace of the Sunday morning – most of the houses were still quiet.  I soon reached the bottom of Loch Lomond and the cycle path continued up the west side alongside the A82 main road.  I notice most of the cars coming south had their lights on and before long they had wipers on as well.  It was clearly going to be a wet day and I was in and out of my rain jacket as the showers passed.

Catching up with Fiona
Cycling through Aldochlay, I texted Fiona an update on my progress and found that she and her Mum were visiting the historic village of Luss just up the shoreline.  Ten minutes later we met up in the village and enjoyed a few minutes chat before going our separate ways.

Loch Lomond





The Loch was very still and the cloud hung low over the hills and islands as the cycle path weaved through woodland, on and off the old road and sometime alongside the busy main road.  The sections on the old road, right on the shores of the Loch were particularly enjoyable.  Eventually the cycle path finished and I was onto the main road, turning west at the top of the Loch.  I climbed up to Crianlarich in heavy rain and considered stopping at the hotel for lunch.  I decided that I was so wet I would only get cold, so pressed on to Tyndrum, where I stopped at The Real Food Café for an excellent fish burger, chips and tea.  I dried my gear in front of the stove and followed progress in the Ryder Cup on my phone.

Eerie, cloudy loch and islands on the climb to Glencoe
Leaving Tyndrum I couldn’t offer a lift to four rather wet looking students hitchhiking, but counted 1,000 standing pedal strokes climbing the hill – it is a good way to keep warm!  I continued up to Bridge of Orchy where the pub advertised “Real Ale, Real Food, Real Bridge”, though I had never doubted it until then!  I paused several times to take photos of the eerie cloudy landscape, but it was so wet that my camera started to get steamed up!  Climbing up to Glencoe, the cloud got lower over the hills and I could only see a few hundred meters in each direction.  I was pleased to pass the sign for the ski area, complete with advert for a café offering magnificent views (though presumably not today!).

Glencoe in the cloud
The descent to the village of Glencoe
Soon after starting the descent, I was overtaken by Fiona and her mum who stopped at the next layby and we chatted before heading on down the mountain.  I thought it would all be a straight descent, but there was one more climb at the end of the glen.  I overtook a couple of tourists on bikes who looked rather unprepared for either the weather or the climb and was soon on the descent to the village of Glencoe.  After speeding down the mountain, pausing only to photograph the waterfalls, I arrived at the Glencoe Inn at 6.15pm rather wet but very happy!

In total I had cycled 74.2 miles in 8 hours elapsed and 5 ½ hours moving at an average of 13.2mph and a maximum of 28.8 mph.  We had dinner at The Glencoe Gathering – vegetarian haggis burger & chips – which I’m sure my Scottish forefathers would think was wrong in several ways!  We were entertained by an excellent local singer / guitarist who made a very friendly atmosphere for the evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment